Tuesday 16 October 2012

Altitudes Enfermedad

I,m a little late posting but here I am, alive and well in Colombia. Bogota was harder than expected to get to, London to Frankfurt to Cali to Bogota in a cool 24hrs taking into account airport necesities and the unexpected layover in Cali - its been a very dry season so far in Bogota, but trust it to break and rain like a biblical scene the day and hour I need to get there. Bogota being 2500m above sea level I found myself with less than a spring in my step on arrival. Still, it didnt stop the whirlwind tour of Villa de Leyva (another few hundered meters up), a visit to a vineyard (that explains why I got so pissed on a glass and a half of grande reserva) and a few gastronomic surprises. Im sure the Bogota smog didnt help much either. Here I am in Santa Marta on the Carribean coast and after hanging out with Juan, Milton (aka Morton) and Camilo in Bogota I was sad to leave - Colombian hospitatlity at its best - looking forward to going back for a last fiesta before my return. I was wondering what was wrong with me, Has my job really taken that much out of me the past 24 months? Only on arrival in Santa Marta at 8pm at night and suddenly getting my mojo back and I can only conclude the headaches, sickness, fatigue and lack of appetite was altitude sickness aka Altitudes Enfermedad. Will be nice to get through a day without the inhailer and nose bleeds... Feeling better just in time as tomorrow at 8am is the start of the 5 day hike to Cuidad Perdida (aka The Lost City) in the Colombian jungle. Mosquitos and botflies next I guess... y esta el pena estoy en la hostel fiesta esta noche! Because I think I will need some serious sleep tonight. This is the land of cold showers - dont ask me why, they just dont have hot water, no matter where you go. Maybe its the climatic heat that makes them think they dont need hot water, but no matter how hot I am a cold shower is no welcome - but as Im in the north for the next week and a half I better get used to it. I guess by now you are wondering what the photo is all about? I thought I had seen everything on my travels, but who the f&$% puts an extra long measuring tape, scissors and and IRON in their hand luggage? Makes you wonder what else was found that wouldnt fit in the box... This is air travel Colombian style... waiting for the day I see semi automatic weapons in the reject box. Not got the hang of these Colombian keyboards yet and need a good nights rest (as Im sure the jungle will infringe on a good nights rest) so excuse any oddities as I plan on a few beers and then, voy a la cama, so not going to spend too long on here tonight. Adios para ahora!

No comments: