Wednesday 10 October 2007

¡Viva Mexico! Part 1


Here I am in Cuidad de Mexico sitting in an internet cafe after getting lost somewhere south of the Centro Histôrico.

Left work on Friday feeling like there was not enough preparation I could have done to prepare Neil for the unexpected number of projects and activity that has materialised over the past month or so. So needless to say I was a little stressed when leaving work, so I headed to the gym for my last de-stress before I go home and pack... I never fail to do my packing at the last minute!


Saturday woke up at a reasonable time and headed to the airport. After an uneventful 7hr flight I arrived in Toronto worked my way through customs and met up with John who had a north american pizza waiting for me :P We drove straight to my Ronnie´s cottage where we got drunk on the Pimms I couldnt resist buying after the 2 litres for 15 pounds promotion caught my eye at Heathrow duty free.

After a few days of destressing at the cottage it was back on the road. We drove to Toronto to have dinner with Eddie, Ronnie and I caught up on life and relationships during the 2hr drive. At this point Ive not managed to have a full nights sleep since leaving London, but I dont feel any the worse from it. After dinner, I got to bed just after midnight (starting to feel the lack of sleep by now and the jet lag probably doesnt help!) and woke up at 6am for Ronnie to drive me to the airport.

A weekend at the cottage with close friends on the Bay of Quince near Bellville Ontario was the perfect start to the holiday, now for the culture shock!

Arrive in Mexico city around 1pm after another uneventful 5hr flight, worked my way through customs and faced my first challenge, securing a taxi with a sea of operators peddling their services and then the drive to the Hotel. On the way I was stuck by the similarity with parts of Marrakech, the suburb architecture is very similar to that of suburbs in Marrakech, buildings piled ontop of one another, market traders and open faced shops selling everything from clothing, mobile phones, groceries and my favourite, a shop selling nothing but loofa sponges, rows and rows being washed, hung up to dry and traded in bunches... not what I expected in Mexico city! Im sure that wont be the only surprise of the trip. As we moved closer to the centre of the city I was entertained by the hustle and bustle of everyday life and a clown juggling fire! I felt a bit mean not giving him some money after a pretty talented display, but I only had MEX$200 notes on me :( (not sure it was that amazing, or am I just jaded?).

Arrived at my hotel, chilled out, caught a shower, went to VIPs´ restaurant for my first pig-out on fajitas con Carne and Tostadas Pollo w/Corona of course (I ate far too much and Im going to feel those chilli in the morning!) Walked around the Zona Rosa for a little while to get my bearings then crashed at the hotel by 9pm to catch up on some Zzzzzz. Holiday Inn, Zona Rosa is nice and central... close enough to the bars and seedy strip joints for a buzz, but just off the beating track enough to avoid the noise.

First morning in Cuidad de Mexico I had a Mexican omelette w/salsa (Wow! and I asked for the mild stuff! ouch!)... then out and about to walk the Centro Histôrico district... after getting lost I eventually found my way to the Zocolo (central square) and spent some time walking around the Cathedral (I think I could feel it sinking under my feet) and across the Zocalo to the Presidential Palace to see the Diego Rivera murals. Then headed for a Starbucks fix and made my way to the Torre Lainoamerica (tower), which is much smaller and much much cheaper version of the Empire State building. I wasnt sure if I wanted to venture up, it looked very tacky and like it would fall down any second, but it was only two pounds fifty pence so I took the plunge. Wow, was I glad I did that, the views were amazing (just as Ronnie has promised!), you really get a excellent view of what the city is like from up here. I was lucky the air quality is good today after some late night and early morning rain cleared the air...I could see the city going on for miles surrounded by mountains, some with slums built right up the mountain sides...quite spectacular!

Apart from now being lost somewhere south of the Centro Histôrico, its been a tame day. I havent got out of my English stand offish mentality yet, so havent approached anyone to photograph. I wanted to get a feel for the place before I flashed my camera about, considering all Ive read and heard about safety here I am being less bullish than usual. Im also mindfull that this is a big city where people can be more jaded and less curious and open than in small towns, so I have stuck to snapshots and a few architecture pics. I will get more bullish and more oportunites once I am on the road.

Walking around Im noticing the massive amounts of traffic in this city. London, New York, Toronto or anywhere else Ive been has nothing on the traffic in this city. Every street is packed with cars swarming the streets, with the most bizzare traffic systems in parts. I was nearly run over at one point this morning... it seems cars take no notice of traffic lights in parts and the animated walking man inviting you to cross the road is not to be trusted! ...it always takes an event in the first few days to kick the brain into gear, so thats my wakeup call to be more alert from now on!

Now its back to the hotel, grab a bite and take a disco nap before venturing out to a bar or two or three tonight.

I will be in Cuidad de Mexico until Friday before moving on, not sure where Im going next, will play it by ear. Prospective list includes Morelia, Guanajuato or Puebla so far, but I have to find the bus station first!

Until next time, Adios!

No comments: